Williams Buick GMC Dealership History
Williams Buick GMC of Charlotte, NC is the oldest Buick dealer in the Carolinas and has proudly served customers for over 80 years. Today, we are the premier Buick, GMC dealer in the Charlotte metro area. Read below to learn more about our company history!
Mr. Lee Folger founded the company on October 1, 1937. He was awarded an exclusive Buick franchise for the city of Charlotte, and the General Motors Holding Corporation was the co-investor. The total amount in capital paid was $30,000.
On August 19, 1938, the Pontiac franchise was added so Lee A. Folger, Inc. became the exclusive Buick-Pontiac dealer in the Charlotte, NC area. On this date, the dealership was moved from the 500 block of South Tryon Street to 318 West Fifth Street, the location of the former Pontiac dealer.
On August 16, 1939, Lee A. Folger, Inc. bought out General Motors Holding Corporation's stake in the company and canceled the Pontiac franchise at the same time, making the company an exclusive Buick dealer once more.
On June 1, 1941, the company moved to 900 South Tryon Street in a new building constructed specifically for its use.
On January 16, 1960, Mr. Lee A. Folger passed away and on March 14, 1960, Mr. Spencer A. Folger was approved as the dealer by Buick Motor Division.
On September 1, 1970, the company moved to a new facility at 5701 East Independence Boulevard in Charlotte, NC.
On April 11, 1992, Mr. Spencer A. Folger passed away and on November 12, 1992, C.E. Williams, Jr. was approved as the Dealer Principal by Buick Motor Division. Subsequently, C.E. Williams III was appointed Vice President and General Manager, and D. Glenn Moore was appointed as Secretary-Treasurer.
On May 30, 1993, Clarence E. Williams passed away. Mr. Williams had served Folger's since June 1, 1939, as a stockholder and Secretary-Treasurer.
In December 1998, Folger Automotive expanded by purchasing the only other Buick franchise in Charlotte. The facility was located at 400 Tyvola Road in Charlotte, NC.
In 2006, the Folger Automotive Group bought the building and property at 7725 South Blvd. in Charlotte. After General Motors restructured financially, the Folger Automotive Group was given the GMC franchise along with the existing Buick franchise, and these franchises temporarily relocated to the former Folger Kia location, 7725 South Blvd. in 2010. The Folger Kia location has since been sold, and the Williams Subaru store was recently rebuilt in 2016.
In September 2012, the name of the Buick GMC dealership was changed to Williams Buick GMC and opened a brand new facility at 8201 South Blvd. Ward Williams is the owner of Williams Buick GMC and Williams Automotive Group (formerly Folger).
Williams Buick GMC is the original and premier Buick, GMC dealer in Charlotte, North Carolina! We have proudly served customers in the Carolinas since 1937. Take care, we look forward to serving you and meeting all of your automotive needs!